Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Curveball, Jazz, Brandy Love

The Carthay Circle Lounge has its own muzak loop of jazz variations on classic (and contemporary) animated feature theme songs. I was very excited to find out recently that they've begun selling "The Circle Sessions" by Bill Cantos on CD. In fact, I'm listening to it right now, as I type this up. I'm listening to it on my faux-antique Emerson radio / CD player rather than from my iTunes library because where's the fetish value there? I've also got a small glass of bourbon next to my keyboard, so the only thing missing, aside from posh furnishings, is the smell of moroccan meatballs wafting in from the kitchen. 


Here's the track listing:
1. A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
2. Be Out Guest
3. Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. A Whole New World
6. Alice in Wonderland
7. He's a Tramp
8. Can You Feel the Love Tonight
9. If I Didn't Have You
10. Married Life
11. Some Day My Prince Will Come
12. You've Got a Friend in Me

This is all fine and dandy, but I'm disappointed to find that they omitted Le Festin, the theme from Ratatouille. It's not as though they didn't have room on the disc, which is less than 40 minutes long.

Anyway, here are my notes from my recent visit:

Today James suggested I try a "Curveball," rather than the Brown Derby I thought I'd start off with. The Curveball is his own invention; a cross between a Brown Derby and a Manhattan. It has Bulleit bourbon, honey, is shaken and served over ice with a mint leaf and cherry garnish. The honey really brings out the sweetness in the bourbon. 


(Sorry for the crappy image quality, I only had my flip-phone's camera. That's right, I have a flip-phone. I don't have a pants wizard or smartphone or whatever. Yes, I know even your mother has a smart phone now. I'm comfortable being a luddite.)

I don't normally go for sweet drinks but this is just cloy enough to be enjoyable. I particularly like the way the nose of mint enhances the flavor, makes it all a whiff more sophisticated.

I'll be ordering this again. If you stop into the Lounge and James is behind the bar tell him you'd like to try one.


I have disconnectedly photographed and discussed the Brandy Alexander elsewhere but I have so much affection for this drink that I'm compelled to post about it again (whiskey may have something to do with that).

At the first sip I think immediately of chocolate. Yes, it's almost chocolatey. This is aided by the nutmeg nose. This not only harkens the taste of dark chocolate but is as comforting as a glass of chocolate milk, and has a similar viscosity.

Note for today: how fortunate it is to have a refuge like this on days when I get stood up or blown off.

No comments:

Post a Comment