Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Underground Drinking, Lobster Bisque

Look at this picture. No, really, click to embiggen it and look at it. That is one of the best things you will ever put in your mouth and it is only five miles north of the Carthay Circle.


Today we take a side-trip to my favorite speakeasy, a restaurant and lounge that, since 1970, has been one of Orange County's "best kept secrets." It's called The Cellar, and it is, indeed, down a flight of stairs and underground. The interior was fashioned by the same guy who designed the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. You've really got to see it.

The image you see above is of their velvety lobster bisque, and I am incapable of visiting this establishment without having it. I won't. On two occasions I have forced non-seafood eating persons to try it - they both conceded to its delectable nature.

If one wants to have a formal sit-down with tablecloths and everything one can do so. As for myself, I prefer to just stroll in and take a seat at the bar, which features, I might add, the best cocktail craftsmen around. A bold statement, you say? Try the sazerac.


My recent dining and drinking companion was Kat, a bony girl who should be deployed as a ringer in an eating contest. The picture of the bisque was taken with her high-resolution pants wizard. The picture of her was taken with my crappy flip-phone. The plate before her was previously covered with Chateaubriand and whipped potatoes and leeks (we were splurging a bit that night, and could have otherwise ordered more modest sliders or something).

Anyway, drop in sometime and you could look as happy as she does. 305 N. Harbor Blvd. Fullerton, CA 92832. 714-525-5682. See you down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment