Friday, March 15, 2013

Organic Tangerine Rooibos



My sabbatical from alcohol began a few weeks ago. I haven't taken up permanent residence on the wagon, I plan on having a drink with some friends on April 21st (because there is no way I'm not joining my friends in a pint on Potter Day Lite) but for various reasons involving diet, physical and psychological health, and finance, I'm drying up for a couple months; then all bets are off.

Until then: tea!

Our friend Chris was in town and wanted to take in the Carthay Lounge I'd been writing about. The Carthay Circle Drinking Club's constituents on this day also included Jen, Eryhn, Darcy, and Hannah. Chris and I were happily gallivanting with a traveling clam-jam.



My photo indicates that Chris began with an Aviation Cocktail (reviewed recently) but my notes suggest he must have had a Brown Derby at some point because I find the words "well-balanced, grapefruit not overwhelming" and "honey + grapefruit good." These observations might also have belonged to Darcy, who seems to have been enjoying a Derby initially as well.

Given that I wasn't "drinking" I decided to investigate the latter pages of the lounge menu. I've become increasingly fond of loose-leaf teas of late. I'm also trying to abstain from caffeine, so our sober explorations began with the "Organic Tangerine Rooibos: Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants."



Carthay's loose-leaf tea pots are served with a lemon wedge and an individual serving jar of honey, which is lovely, but this red tea stands up well all on its own. (I have actually found myself returning to Carthay for a repeat pot of their rooibos.) It is a friendly, well-spirited tea that tastes like a pleasant walk in a tropical climate.

In all the years I've known Jen, I'd never seen her have an alcoholic beverage until this night. Not that she's never had one before, she just tends to associate alcohol with headaches, which I can only assume is the product of insufficient hydration.


She wanted something sweet, but being vegan, the Brandy Alexander and Chip Shot were not options. The committee eventually agreed on her having a Pimm's Punch.

Jen enjoyed it, which is not surprising given how innocuous the Pimm's Punch tastes, and found herself soon describing her general sensation as "fuzzy." For the next hour she would check every few minutes to make sure she wasn't being too obnoxious because she was being so bold as to participate in the conversation and have a good time (which can, to the semi-reticent, be terrifying).

I'm hoping I can talk her into having another drink with me when my abstinence concludes.

And then there's Eryhn, who rarely needs excessive coercion. Her souvenir Ariel cup was a particular point of interest that evening, or so the photos suggest. As far as I know, Eryhn still hopes to be Ariel when she grows up. Gingers do need their role models.


No comments:

Post a Comment