Monday, July 13, 2015

Side Car (Revisited)

The last time Autumn and I were here we attempted to put the Side Car and the Bourbon Crusta on the done list. We didn't do well.

Here I am again, giving it another go for posterity's sake and not my own.


The lounge is quiet today. 1:57pm, Tuesday March 10th. Next week the two-month barrage of Spring Break begins, and the crowds will grow intolerable. Best to get some time in while the getting's good. 

So, the Side Car:

Hennesy V.S Cogna, Cointreau, fresh Lemon Juice, and Agave Nectar with a Lemon Peel and a Sugar Rim.


When last we tried this it was on an insert - now it's printed in the regular lounge menu. 

This drink has a sugar rim for a reason: it is quite tart. And the agave stands out to me because it tastes similar to tequila, which causes my taste buds to trigger a Pavlovian concern in my head. Whenever my brain detects something that resembles tequila bells go off: Whoah! What's going on?! Do you know what you're doing right now?

Answer: I'm waiting for my Fastpass to Star Tours to become valid and then checking to see if my favorite Jedi is working today. 

I will concede that, like the Tequila Daisy, this drink becomes more and more friendly the closer to the bottom of the glass you get. 

P.S. No one working the floor or behind the bar is someone I recognize. Life has its turnovers.

P.P.S. As of this writing the Lounge has changed their artifact window display to a fantastic collection of articles from the film "The Reluctant Dragon," an all but forgotten feature that starred Robert Benchley as he takes a meandering tour of the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank circa 1941. When last I checked you could watch this video on Netflix streaming. It's worth it just to see the collar of Walt's shirt overlapping his coat. I was delighted to see the film because of my affection for the legendary Algonquin Round Table of which Benchley was a paramount member and icon.





No comments:

Post a Comment