Friday, August 17, 2012

Backwards In High Heels

Two entries in the log for this Friday evening.

I happened to stop into the lounge after meeting with family for lunch and found that lo, our favorite bartender from Trader Sam's has reappeared! And by "our" I refer to my friends Ryan and Brianne, two fellow Fullertonians who do the Park in my preferred fashion: with a perspiring glass in hand.

Anyway, today I decided to try the Sparkling Mare... The sound you just heard was my friend Autumn (see previous post) yelling from the rooftops that I already had one on a trip previous and why don't I merely abide by her word and some other business about Chomsky being full of it or something.

The Sparkling Mare: Iron Horse Sparkling Wine, St-Germain Elderflower Liquer, and Aperol Orange Apertiff.


My notes from this afternoon: Clean, good aroma, not too tart. Just enough viscosity to taste like booze and prevent you from downing it like a wine cooler on a hot day (which it was and still is).

After a few sips the drink takes on the character and feeling of drinking Franzia (only a bit sparkling). Does the fact that it has the pink color of a hideous white zinfandel affect my impression?

The second drink that caught my eye was the Ginger Rogers: Plymouth Gin, Luxardo Apricot Liquer, Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth, and a hint of fresh Lemon Juice, served up.


My notes: Nice citrusy nose, very well balanced, no annoying tart acidity, no cloying boozy thickness. This one is a winner - my first and definitely not my last Ginger Rogers. "And it's got three ounces of liquor in it too," added my kindly, silver-haired and sagacious bartender.

I often keep a classic film channel on at home as background company, not just because I enjoy the content but because I can't stand advertising, which comprises 40% of the content of all other basic cable channels. There was a Fred Estaire and Ginger Rogers movie on three days ago. Any time I glimpse one of these films or hear the name Ginger Rogers I'll always think of the same four words:

Backwards in high heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment