Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Irish Coffee, Tequila Daisy, Doctor Who

I was brutalized from the previous evening when I couldn't get to sleep and resorted to drinking half a bottle of brandy. (Never again. Never.) Nevertheless my friend Melanie and I had plans, and guess where she wanted to go?

And thus the Carthay Circle Drinking Club inducted a new member. Melanie wants to know when her picture and a plaque will appear on the wall of my apartment along with the other affiliates.


Here she is making sure everything is copacetic in the matrix while trying a Ginger Rogers (see previous entry).

In order not to fall asleep in my chair I elected to start with the Irish Coffee: Jameson Irish Whiskey, hot Coffee, and two Sugar Cubes topped with a frothy Cream. (As ever, I am deferring to the capitalization choices of the menu's copywriter.)


I was not given a straw, and since my bartender was not a fool I assume it's not something she forgot. The way the components are stratified makes one expect an initial mouthful of foam with the same satisfaction as that one concentrated chunk of sour cream in a drive-through burrito. However, if sipped gingerly, the right amount of foam combines with each dose of coffee, the combination being unctuous and pleasant.


Feeling nearly human I was ready to try my own Brown Derby, rather than sample another members'. My notes: very sweet, cloy, enjoyable.

My resolution to sample the entire menu must by necessity entail trying elements I normally want nothing to do with, meaning tequila.

The Tequila Daisy: Don Julio Reposado Tequila, Cointreau, Creme Yvette Violet Liquer, fresh Lime Juice, and Organic Agave Nectar, served up.

My camera isn't well-suited to taking underexposed images, and I loathe the look of flash-images, so I try whenever taking pictures for my blog to remember the advice Woody Harrelson gave in Zombieland: exhale before you shoot.


I expected the tequila taste to be hidden, as it is in so many psychedelic popular drinks it finds itself in, but no; it's up front. Someone as prejudiced as I am must leap in and make peace with their tequila issues.

Truth to be told, I did not dislike it. I liked it more than several other drinks I've had in the Lounge - the Hemingway Daiquiri comes to mind.



My Tequila Daisy came with a violet flower. I can only assume it's because the bartender liked me better. Melanie asked if we could trade. We could not.

Then we talked about Doctor Who for a couple hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment