Thursday, August 9, 2012

Introduction: Chip Shot & Mousse Cones

To all who come to this happy blog, welcome!

Drinking Carthay is my new pet project inspired by my new ruin watering hole, the Carthay Circle Lounge at Disney California Adventure.

I fell in love with this conveniently located refuge the moment I stepped through the doors. The exterior is modeled after the Carthay Circle Theatre where Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered in 1937. The interior is meant to emulate the style, class and elegance of that era (or at least the artifacts we still have which depict it). Step inside and you might almost believe, were it not for the unruly tourists in hideous clothing, that you had stepped into a Clark Gable film.


The lounge area features a menu full of modern and classic cocktails.

I've decided to drink them all.

Everybody neat and pretty? Then on with the show!

We begin with the end: dessert!

Today we're trying the Chip Shot along with the Three Mousse Cones.



The Mousse Cones, from left to right, are:
Chocolate Fudge, Salted Caramel and Chocolate Grenache.
Coconut-Lemon Custard Snow Ball.
Tiramisu with Frangelico Chantilly and Hazelnut Brittle.

It helps to be totally gay for chocolate (as I am) to enjoy the first cone. So many folks seem to want their chocolate combined with gawdawful notions like mint. I'm a philistine - I like my chocolate combined with chocolate.

My least favorite was the snow ball, but only as I am, as I'm admitting, a complete philistine when it comes to sweets. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, truth to be told. When sugar contacts my taste buds my first thoughts are not what a delight it is but what it is this very instant doing to my teeth and fat deposits. Ironically, I can guzzle copious amounts of gin without giving a thought to the direct course it is plotting to my love handles; I have a booze tooth... Anyway, the Snow Cone. I am underwhelmed by the presence of coconut, as said... fruit? nut?... Said food item and I have never really made friends. The best part of this treat is in the recesses of the cone, where the really tangy essence of the lemon custard resides. A good finish.

Tiramisu, when done well, is divine, and when done poorly, is devastatingly disappointing. One doesn't expect to have the same experience biting into this cone as they do when sampling the imported Tiramisu over at Angelo's and Vinci's, but it doesn't leave one sad, either. The highlight, oddly, is the brittle, which I generally despise. I tend to regard brittle as a tedious chore requiring too much work to extract from one's teeth, far disproportionate to the enjoyment of flavor, much like popcorn. This, however, was utterly delightful and possessed none of the Butterfinger-like annoyances I associate with brittle; I wanted a brick of it.

Anyway, the Chip Shot:



Contents consist of Bailey's Irish Cream, Tuaca, hot coffee, and a cinnamon stick.

I love that this is served in a large snifter, because although it does not significantly impact the taste, the cinnamon stick immediately forces open olfactory memories of holiday evenings. So there you have the unctuousness of the Bailey's, the citrus-vanilla of the Tuaca, the warmth of the freshly brewed coffee, and their ambassador to the senses, a bowl of cinnamon aroma. It makes one wonder if an irish coffee could ever cut it again after this.

And does the Chip Shot go well with the Mousse Cones? Nearly as well as peanut butter goes with chocolate.

...

Entry the first appears to be completed.

Have I ruined your life yet? No? Well, I'm just getting started. 

Tune in again next week when we cross the esplanade to visit an exclusive club located at 33 Royal Street. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment