Monday, September 24, 2012

B52 Coffee

Today's highlighted beverage would require modification for me to enjoy it again. This is not easy for me. I associate requesting modifiers - when not done for dietary restrictions - as being the province of philistines.

But first let me reintroduce you to my drinking companion for this particular adventure in my Tardis-like liver, Melanie. Someone as petite as Melanie has no business being able to put back as much hooch as she does.


Our day began at the Uva Bar. Oh, by the way, Melanie, if you're reading this, it turns out 'uva' basically means 'grape.' There was a time when Catal and the Uva Bar tried to maintain some fidelity to mediterranean theming, which has fallen somewhat to the wayside to accommodate our lack of taste or epicurean curiosity.


Being too late for a mimosa, our host H suggested the Peach Bellini. Simply put, it is sparkling white wine and peach puree. It is not too sweet and very enjoyable.

Anyway, onto our surrogate home, the Carthay Lounge with its relaxing atmosphere and whimsical soundtrack of jazz variations on Disney show-tunes both classic and contemporary. After a couple cocktails, leaning back and hearing a clarinet interpretation of "Some Day My Prince Will Come" can distill just the right mixture of comfort and nostalgia.

The B52 Coffee: Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream, and hot Coffee topped with fresh House-made Whipped Cream.


This stimulating beverage contains multiple ingredients I enjoy immensely. I just can't stand the garnish. The beverage is topped and immersed with what appear to be flecks or slivers of orange rind. They don't just sit atop the creamy cap of the drink, they find their way into the straw with every sip. I find myself sticking my dirty fingers in my mouth to pry them out and piling them on my napkin.

I would otherwise very much enjoy this festive, very holiday-like beverage. The only problem is the collection of rind-like slivers made me give up on the last two fingers of the drink, where the good stuff usually is.

The majority of the day was devoted to doing reconnaissance for the upcoming Potter Day scavenger hunt. 

A productive day was rewarded by a visit to what the faculty of Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy calls The Lounge of Requirement, enjoying the faculty's beverage of choice, the white sangria. 


Melanie got a peek at the special black book where I write down all my plans and the cipher to all my clues. Now she knows all the secrets of what folks are in store for in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment