Thursday, September 13, 2012

Walt Is Great, His Drink Is Rubbish

First I met up with Autumn, who was already inside DCA, and upon meeting we congratulated each other on electing nonconventional lifestyles that afforded us the ability to impulsively visit the Park at 11am on a Tuesday.

After grownup activities like riding the ferris wheel we found ourselves at the Carthay Lounge, enjoying beverages we had never, technically speaking, enjoyed before.


To move one more drink through the roster, as my manifest masthead says I shall, I selected the... 

"Scotch Mist: Known to be Walt's Drink of Choice - Black & White Scotch Whiskey with a Lemon Peel served over Crushed Ice."

Autumn reached for a drink she has enjoyed at Carthay in the past, the Gin & Tonic with Dill, but needed to modify it due to being currently on the Keto diet. I began asking her about what that means but after a few fleeting seconds of failing to transcribe her description I placed my pen on top of my notebook and slid it across the table towards her.

She wrote:

"Keto is a low-carb diet that aims for a 65% fat, 35% protein and 5% carb nutrition ratio. I try to keep my carbs under 20g a day."

So her Gin & Tonic had Soda instead of Tonic.


Modeling and her own self-styled perspicacity taught Autumn an acute awareness of consumable components, something I've never had or vaguely comprehended. This is helpful to her, given her current diet, so that she can ask for precise ingredients on all things that she orders to eat or drink. The only obstacle she encounters is a lack of comprehension, on behalf of the servers she asks, as to what on earth she is talking about. I've sat in this very seat of ignorance, being that when I was still in the service industry I needed no knowledge of either carbs, grams or anything of the sort; being a penniless bicyclist, I burned everything that I shoved in my face.

Nevertheless, her fussiness paid off in this instance to both our admiration: they knew better than to put a lemon peel in her gin & soda.

I had little admiration, I must admit, for Walt's favorite drink. My notes say that it invoked the childhood memories of stolen sips of watered-down whiskey. It tastes like a drink you can't appreciate because you still have a child's palate. It has a nice, citric and fragrant nose that doesn't follow through; like coffee, it's yet another beverage that doesn't taste as good as it smells.

Autumn, in the meanwhile, may earnestly enjoy her gin & soda more than she has enjoyed the gin & tonic.

One of the drinks I ordered, following this, was the Brandy Alexander. This was not my first, nor is this its first mention on this blog, but I had never transcribed its exact constituents. So here you go: "Brandy, Dark Crรจme de Cacao, Creme, and Nutmeg, chilled and served up." So sumptuous.

We found ourselves in an engaging conversation once Autumn introduced me to the word "communitas." Linguist friends are helpful for providing words that crystalize concepts you knew only to be vague abstracts previously. She seemed able to see within it the positive aspects such as egalitarian sentiment and the shared abandonment found within dance events, rock concerts, etc. My own interaction with humanity being somewhat different, I found myself only able to see it as something that, on a long enough timeline, leads to Final Solutions.

This discussion ended when we were joined by Ryan and Brianne, two fellow Fullertonians who do the Park in my preferred fashion - with a perspiring glass in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment