Monday, September 3, 2012

Mojito, Double Pear Martini, Pimm's Punch

My only intention had been to spend the day doing reconnaissance for the upcoming Harry Potter Day at Disneyland. But then I received a call from my friend Lacy out of nowhere, suggesting we meet at the Park, where, conveniently, I was. So once she was off work (early for Labor Day weekend) we met up at the Lounge for a drink, thereby inducting another lady friend to the Carthay Circle Drinking Club.


"What's with all the womanizing, Zoe?" 

What can I say? I'm an animal.

Lacy's pretty amazing these days. She recently began working at WDI (that's Imagineering to you) and regaled me on this day with the story of how she came to find her place in the magic factory. Naturally all her Disnerd friends are consumed with jealousy, and outraged at the fact that anyone should posses not only her genetics but also her precocious talent.

Anyway, checking a couple more items off the Lounge's roster...

I decided to try the Carthay Club Mojito: Bacardi Superior Rum, Organic Mint from nearby farms, fresh Lime Juice, and Organic Agave Nectar topped with locally sourced Purified Sparkling Water served over Crushed Ice.


My notes say my drink was tart and strong. Those were the two adjectives I used, one of which I've used often. I really should start finding more describing words that apply to the realm of flavor. The fact that I did not write more than two short words is indicative of the fact that this drink, though not unpleasant, was not one that captured my imagination nor fostered a desire to  have another at a later time.

Lacy ordered the Pimm's Punch, seated to the right of my mojito in the image above, of which I forgot to transcribe the ingredients. 

Lacy's notes were that it was not a typical fruity drink, and is nice on a warm summer day. I agreed, this time around. I vaguely recall feeling it was a pinch too sweet the last time I tried it.

Lacy's second round was a Double Pear Martini: Double Cross and Absolut Pear Vodka, Pear Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice complimented with a marinated Baby Pear, served up.


"It tastes like drinking a pear," was Lacy's observation. And she's right. The beverage somehow even evokes the semi-sandy texture of a pear. I can't say whether that's a psychosomatic experience.

We also shared a whiskey flight but were distracted by conversation and made no notes at all. Maybe I won't bother ever making notes on the whiskey flights. Maybe I'll just enjoy them. Perhaps whiskey belongs in the province of conversation, revelry, and immediacy rather than documentation.

The word whiskey, they say, comes from the Gaelic "usquebaugh," which means "water of life."

After this we strolled for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment